Google isn’t trying to kill ad-blockers. That’s the message in a Google blog post Wednesday that appears to be responding to criticism of the search giant’s .
“We are not preventing the development of ad blockers or stopping users from blocking ads,” said Devlin Cronin in the blog post. “Chrome Extensions TeamInstead, we want to help developers, including content blockers, write extensions in a way that protects users’ privacy.”
Google revealed the controversial changes in October as part of a broader plan to improve Chrome extensions. In January, developers noticed that part of the plan, called Manifest v3, could hurt ad blockers. Manifest v3 is designed to improve Chrome extensions’ performance, privacy and security, but one part of that change limits how extensions will be able to examine aspects of websites. Some developers have said this will torpedo their ad-blocking and privacy extensions.
Last month, Google said it’s lifting some limits and plans an exemption for enterprise users. On Wednesday, Google said it’ll continue to work with developers but feels that it’s making the “right choice to enable users to limit the sensitive data they share with third-parties while giving them the ability to curate their own browsing experience.”