California Teen’s iPhone 6 Catches Fire, Apple Investigating the Matter

iPhone battery controversy

Kayla Ramos, an 11-year-old girl from California, says that her iPhone 6 caught fire while she was holding the phone in her hand. The girl says that she saw sparks from her phone and threw it across the room.

The iPhone 6 then caught fire and burnt holes in the blanket upon which it fell.

“I was sitting down, and I had my phone in my hand and then I saw sparks flying everywhere and I just threw it on a blanket,” said Ramos. Ramos says she used her iPhone 6 to watch YouTube videos and occasionally lets her younger siblings play games with it.

Kayla’s mom Maria Adata contacted Apple Support the next day where she was asked to sent pictures of the burnt device and then ship the phone to the company. Apple is investigating the matter and has sent the girl a replacement phone.

[embedded content]

There can be a number of reasons as to why Ramos’ iPhone exploded. It could be that it was charged using a third-party counterfeit charger or cable which caused the issue. Or since the iPhone 6 is relatively old at this point, it is possible that the phone’s battery had already swollen due to use over the years which ultimately led to the fire. It is also possible that unauthorized repairs were carried out on the phone which led to the fire, though this is something that the family denies.

Apple is still investigating the incident so it would be too early to jump to any conclusions.

[Via 23ABC]

.adslot_1 { width: 300px; height: 250px; } @media (min-width:340px) { .adslot_1 { width: 336px; height: 280px; } } <!– Like this post? Share it! –>

Leave a Reply