Prince Harry and Meghan Throttle Down the Royal P.R. Machine

LONDON — A day before they cease being working members of the British royal family, Prince Harry and his wife Meghan on Monday wound down their popular social media sites and transferred the management of their image and philanthropy to a new team of advisers in Los Angeles, where they recently moved.

The couple marked the milestone on the same Instagram page where they famously announced their plan two months ago to “step back” from their duties and relocate to North America. It was a quiet coda to the dramatic rupture between Harry and Meghan and the House of Windsor.

Acknowledging that the world had changed since their personal saga commanded breathless headlines, the couple said they would prefer that attention remain fixed on the coronavirus pandemic. They said little about their future, beyond noting that it would be affected by the crisis sweeping the world.

“What’s most important right now is the health and well-being of everyone across the globe and finding solutions for the many issues that have presented themselves as a result of this pandemic,” the couple said. “We are focusing this new chapter to understand how we can best contribute.”

Harry and Meghan said they would shut down the Instagram account, which has 11 million followers, as well as a website that uses the name, SussexRoyal. As part of their severance agreement with Buckingham Palace, they agreed to stop using the term “royal” for commercial or charitable activities.

The palace said Harry and Meghan were dismantling their SussexRoyal philanthropy, which had been set up as the umbrella for their post-royal pursuits. They also plan to pay for their own security in the United States, having recently relocated to the Los Angeles area from Vancouver Island in Canada.

The couple felt forced to clarify their security arrangements on Sunday after President Trump spoiled their welcome to California by declaring on Twitter that the United States would not pay for their security.

“It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada,” he said. “Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however the U.S. will not pay for their security arrangements. They must pay!”

As senior members of the royal family, Harry and Meghan are entitled to police protection in Britain. As visiting dignitaries, they have also been provided with security abroad. But in their new semi-royal status, living in the United States and Canada, they are no longer entitled to that treatment.

The couple have also laid off their 15-member court in Buckingham Palace and recruited new staff members in the United States. Catherine St. Laurent, who worked for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and for Ms. Gates directly, has become chief of staff to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as the couple are formally known. She will also run their new nonprofit organization.

To manage their image for now, the couple hired Sunshine Sachs, a public relations firm that worked with Meghan when she was an actress, known as Meghan Markle. She recently signed a contract with Walt Disney to provide a voice-over for a documentary film about elephants.

Buckingham Palace is holding on to the couple’s former communications secretary, Sara Latham. Ms. Latham, an American who has divided her time between Washington and London, will advise Queen Elizabeth II on special projects. A former White House aide who worked for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign, Ms. Latham is viewed as well-connected on both sides of the Atlantic.

After a dismal stretch, the royal family got a little good news on Monday. Prince Harry’s father, Prince Charles, who contracted the coronavirus and was in quarantine in Scotland for the last week, has taken himself out of isolation.

“The prince is in good health,” a palace official said. “He is now operating under the current standard medical restrictions that apply nationwide.”

Prince Charles, 71, began suffering symptoms the weekend of March 21 and was tested in Scotland on March 23. The British government has advised all people over the age of 70 to avoid social contact for 12 weeks.

The palace said Prince Charles would continue to hold meetings and to exercise. His wife, the Duchess of Cornwall, will remain in isolation until the end of the week. She did not test positive for the virus, the palace said last week, but she is being monitored to see if she develops symptoms.

Prince Charles last met the queen on March 12, a day before his medical advisers said he could have become infectious. Last week, the palace said that the queen was healthy, but it has not provided an update on her condition.

A British tabloid, The Sun, reported that a footman who serves the queen has become ill with the virus. Buckingham Palace has not confirmed the report.

Leave a Reply