The GMC Typhoon Was Just As Quick As A Corvette In The 1990s

The GMC Typhoon Was Just As Quick As A Corvette In The 1990s

High-performance SUVs are all the rage nowadays but back in the 1990s, they weren’t quite so popular. Among those that did exist back in the day was the GMC Typhoon, based around the car manufacturer’s equally-as-impressive Syclone pickup.

During the vehicle’s two-year production run, GMC produced 4,697 Typhoons, making it quite a rare vehicle and at Mecum Auctions’ Indy sales event running from May 13-21, a pristine example will cross the auction block. If the current mill of performance SUVs doesn’t do it for you, perhaps this one will.

Read Also: This Awesome 1993 GMC Typhoon Has Only Been Driven 272 Miles

Powering the GMC Typhoon is a 4.3-liter turbocharged V6 that pumps out 280 hp and 350 lb-ft (475 Nm) of torque, coupled to a four-speed automatic transmission sending 35 percent of power to the front wheels and the remaining 65 percent to the rear wheels. The Typhoon was good for a 0-60 mph (96 km/h) sprint of around 5.3 seconds, roughly on par with the Chevrolet Corvette of the day.

The listing provides very few details about this particular Typhoon, other than the fact that it is a one-owner car and is unrestored. Mecum hasn’t even said how many miles the SUV has under its belt but one image of the dashboard indicates it has been driven 45,391 miles.

Adorning the exterior of the SUV is black paint that’s complemented by a black interior, making this example one of 1,262 Typhoons thought to have this black-on-black scheme from the 1992 model year. Both the exterior and interior appear to have been well maintained over the years and despite its age, the potent performer would be just as well suited to sitting in a museum as it would be storming down the drag strip every weekend.

more photos…

Leave a Reply