Marvel has been ramping up its TV output with numerous MCU series on Disney Plus and plenty more to come. Loki is the first to secure a second season, but what do we know about Loki season two?
Read on for everything we know about Loki season two — and for all the burning questions we still want answered.
If you’re not already a Disney Plus subscriber, you can sign up by clicking the link below.
Spoiler warning: This post does mention some key plot points from Loki season one, as well as how they may inform the events of season two.
Disney Plus annual subscription
12 months for the price of 10
The streaming service is the home of all Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars movies. It’s also got a bunch of exciting originals like The Mandalorian, The World According to Jeff Goldblum, and more.
Will there be a season 2 of Loki?
Fear not, Loki fans. There will indeed be a Loki season 2.
Most viewers will already know that, as the announcement was made during the end credits of the season one finale. “Loki will return in season 2,” read a TVA-style stamp in bold red on Loki’s case file.
“I have learned, at this point, having said goodbye to the character more than twice, two and a half times maybe, to make no assumptions,” Loki star Tom Hiddleston told Deadline, ahead of the finale.
With a confirmed second season, Loki is the first Marvel show to be renewed at Disney Plus. As of yet, WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and Hawkeye are all one-off shows, though the animated What If…? was renewed after Loki wrapped up.
What is Loki season 2 about?
Sorry to disappoint, but there’s not much to report on this front. Disney hasn’t shared any plot details about Loki season two. Even the rumor mill has been pretty quiet.
“Nothing has prepared me better for working with Marvel than playing tabletop games with my friends,” Loki director Kate Herron told Variety after the first season wrapped up. “It definitely taught me how to have a good poker face. You have to hide your hand — and sometimes lie.”
When is Loki season 2 coming out?
Backstage, a website that offers employment resources to entertainment performers, did offer some info at the end of January. According to the site, Loki season two is set to start filming in the summer of 2022.
Backstage didn’t offer any updates on casting. Disney likely isn’t letting out any clues as to potential characters who might appear, but the filming update does suggest the wait for Loki season two won’t be too long.
When exactly the new season will premiere remains unknown, though it could potentially be as soon as late 2022 or early 2023.
The Backstage announcement also suggested Loki will shoot at Pinewood Studios in the UK, marking a move from Georgia, where season one was shot.
Seems safe to assume Tom Hiddleston will return as the titular Loki.
We last saw Loki face-to-face with variants of Mobius and Hunter B-15, so it’s likely that they’ll return, along with their respective actors: Owen Wilson and Wunmi Mosaku. Judge Ravonna Renslayer was heading off to find answers about herself and reclaim her free will at the end of season one. Gugu Mbatha-Raw could return as Ravonna or one of her variants.
We last saw Sylvie alone on an asteroid at the end of time, so it’s possible that Sophia Di Martino won’t return in season two. As a Loki variant, though, she may well have something up her sleeve, and safe money would be on her return, in some capacity.
Kate Herron, who directed all six episodes of season one, has said she doesn’t plan to return for season two, though Disney has not shared any details about who might step in. It also remains to be seen whether head writer Michael Waldron will be back.
Where can I watch Loki?
Season one of Loki is streaming exclusively on Disney Plus.
The show is available to subscribers globally.
When Loki season two premieres, it will also stream exclusively on the Disney streamer.
What we want to learn in Loki season 2
At this point, Loki season two is one big question mark. What we know is that there will be a season two. Beyond that, it’s anyone’s guess.
Having said that, there are a few questions left unanswered by season one, and here are a few of the most enticing ones:
- The multiverse has been unleashed, so what now? Will Loki find his way back to Thor and the other characters of the MCU? How will Loki tie into other MCU titles? The multiverse has already played a key role in Spider-Man: No Way Home, and we know it’s central to the upcoming Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Will Loki crossover with other films and series?
- At the end of season one, we learned that the TVA employees were all variants plucked from their timelines and made to forget their past lives. Will Loki manage to free them?
- Have we seen the last of He Who Remains? While he was vanquished in season one, the puppetmaster pulling the strings of the TVA has many variants, including Kang the Conquerer, who is said to appear in the upcoming Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Perhaps Loki season two will include Jonathan Majors as Kang or another variant.
- Where do Sylvie’s allegiances truly lie? The Loki variant seems to have sided with our protagonist, but Loki has jumped back and forth as a good guy and villain throughout his MCU tenure. It seems likely that we’re not done seeing her grow and develop in this series.
- Will Ravonna Renslayer find the “free will” she told Mobius she was going to go searching for?
- Will Mobius finally get to ride a jet ski? It was a bit of a letdown when season one ended without a single jet ski. Mobius was so passionate about the water sporting vehicles, and it would be great to see him finally get his wish to take one for a test drive.
That’s everything we know about Loki season two, as well as a whole lot we don’t know yet. Stay tuned for more updates.
And if you don’t already have Disney Plus, you can sign up at the link below: